Kezdőoldal » Kultúra és közösség » Nyelvek » Különbség a "may be" és a...

Különbség a "may be" és a "can be" között?

Figyelt kérdés
Ugyanazt jelentik, de mikor melyiket kell használni?

2018. dec. 19. 13:27
 1/9 anonim ***** válasza:
100%
2018. dec. 19. 13:47
 2/9 anonim ***** válasza:

Nem ugyanazt jelentik.

Ha may be at home. = Lehet, hogy otthon van. ESETLEG Megengedik neki, hogy otthon legyen.

He can be at home. = Otthon tud lenni. ESETLEG Megengedik neki, hogy otthon legyen.

2018. dec. 19. 14:50
 3/9 anonim ***** válasza:

Ahogy nézem, a linkek elég rosszul teljesítik a feladatot, ami a may és a can összehasonlítása. Persze, mindegyiken végig lehet menni, és összevetni a tanultakat.

Angol nyelven be tudnám ide másolni a tudnivalókat, de mivel már az olyan megoldást is kifogás érte, megvárom, hogy a kérdező igényli-e.

2018. dec. 19. 19:03
 4/9 A kérdező kommentje:
Igen, igénylem, köszönöm!
2018. dec. 19. 20:21
 5/9 anonim ***** válasza:

may and can used for permission in the present or future

A First person

I/we can is the most usual form:

/ can take a day off whenever I want. I/we may meaning 'I/we have permission to . . .'is possible:

/ may leave the office as soon as I have finished.

But this is not a very common construction and it would be much more usual to say:

/ can leave/I'm allowed to leave . . . I/we may/might is a little more usual in indirect speech:

'You may leave when you've finished,' he says/said =

He says we may leave/He said we might leave . . . But in colloquial speech we would use can/could:

He says we can leave/He said we could leave.

B Second person

Here may is chiefly used when the speaker is giving permission. You may park here means 'I give you permission to park'. It does not normally mean The police etc. allow you to park' or 'You have a right to park'.

can can be used as an informal alternative to may here. But it can also be used to express the idea of having permission. You can park here can mean 'I allow it/The police allow it/You have a right to park here'. Similarly You can take two books home with you can mean 'I allow it/The library allows it' and You can't eat sandwiches in the library can mean 'I don't allow it/The librarian doesn't allow it' or 'It isn't the proper thing to do'. could can be used when there is an idea of condition:

Why don't you ring him? You can/could use my phone. could is also used in indirect speech introduced by a verb in a past tense:

He said I could use his phone.

C Third person

may can be used as in B above when the speaker is giving permission:

He may take my car. (I give him permission to take it.)

They may phone the office and reverse the charges.

(I give them permission.)

But it is chiefly used in impersonal statements concerning authority and permission:

In certain circumstances a police officer may (= has the right to) ask

a driver to take a breath test.

If convicted, an accused person may (= has the right to) appeal.

SCRABBLE RULES: No letter may be moved after it has been played. In informal English can/can't would be used:

He can take the car.

They can phone the office.

A police officer can ask a driver . . .

An accused person can appeal.

No letter can be moved . . .

Requests for permission (see also 283)

A can I?, could I?, may I?, might I? are all possible and can be used for the present or future, can I? is the most informal. could I? is the most generally useful of the four, as it can express both formal and informal requests.

may I? is a little more formal than could I? but can also be used for both types of requests.

might I? is more diffident than may I? and indicates greater uncertainty about the answer.

B The negative interrogative forms can't I? and couldn't I? are used to show that the speaker hopes for an affirmative answer: Can't I stay up till the end of the programme? Couldn 't I pay by cheque? may and might are not used in this way.

C Answers to can I/could I requests will normally be:

Yes, you can. Yes, of course (you can). No, you can't.

Affirmative answers to may I/might I requests are normally: Yes, you may. Yes, of course (you may).

For a negative answer No, you may not is possible but it would normally

be replaced by a milder expression:

I'd rather you didn't. I'm afraid not.

D Questions about permission are expressed by can or am/is/are

allowed to in the present and by could or was/were allowed to in

the past:

Can Tom use the car whenever he likes?

Is Tom allowed to use the car . . . ?

Could students choose what they wanted to study?

Were students allowed to choose . . . ?

Hát ez volt a fele. :)

2018. dec. 19. 20:32
 6/9 Vree ***** válasza:

Nem ugyanazt jelentik.

A may:

1. szabad neki (I asked my mother if I may go to the concert. Megkérdeztem anyámat,szabad-e elmennem a koncertre. Megengedi-e, hogy elmenjek a koncertre.)

2. lehetséges/lehet, hogy (Tehát már fennálló tény, csak nem tudod, igaz-e.)

A can: képes valamire (de nem csinálja, nem valósult meg a cselekvés,

Amikor mindkettő használható, az az udvarias kérés, engedély

Can I...? (-hatom,-hetem?)

May I...? (szabad...?/megengeded, hogy...?)

pl:

I may be ugly but I'm not stupid.

Lehet, hogy ronda vagyok, de buta nem.

I can be angry if they make me angry.

Tudok dühös is lenni, ha felmérgesítenek.

még egy link

[link]

2018. dec. 20. 09:57
 7/9 anonim ***** válasza:

Egy kezdő poéta megkérdezte a híres költőt, hogy lefordíthatja-e a versét : May I translate your poem?

A költő elég udvariatlan válasza pedig: Of course you may but you can´t.

2018. dec. 21. 22:28
 8/9 A kérdező kommentje:
Köszönöm! Ennél jobb példát nem is írhattál volna. Tényleg volt ilyen vagy te találtad ki?
2018. dec. 21. 22:47
 9/9 anonim ***** válasza:

Hopp, a másik fele lemaradt.

may and can used for possibility in the present or future

A may/might + present infinitive can express possibility in the present or future:

He may/might tell his wife. (Perhaps he tells/will tell his wife.) He may/might emigrate. (Perhaps he will emigrate.) Ann may/might know Tom's address. (Perhaps Ann knows etc.) Similarly with the continuous infinitive:

He may/might be waiting at the station. (Perhaps he is waiting at the station.)

He may/might be waiting at the station when we arrive. (Perhaps he will be waiting etc.)

B may or might for present or future possibility

Normally either can be used, might slightly increases the doubt. Note that in speech we can also indicate increased doubt by stressing may/might. Tom may lend you the money (with a strong stress on may) implies that this is not very likely. Tom \might lend you the money (with a strong stress on might) implies 'I don't think this is at all likely/ I think it is unlikely'.

C might must be used in the conditional and when the expression is introduced by a verb in the past tense: If you invited him he might come. I knew we might have to wait at the frontier. He said he might hire a car. (indirect speech)

D may/might in the negative and interrogative The negative presents no problems:

He may/might not believe your story. (Perhaps he won't/doesn't

believe your story.)

The interrogative is normally expressed by do you think? or a construction with be + likely:

Do you think he's alone?

Do you think he believes your story?

Is it likely that the plane will be late?

Is the plane likely to be late?

may? for possibility very seldom introduces a sentence. It may be placed later on:

When may we expect you?

What may be the result of the new tax? But a construction with be + likely or think is more usual:

When are you likely to arrive?

What do you think the result will be? might? is just possible:

Might they be waiting outside the station?

But Could they be waiting? or Do you think they are waiting? would be more usual (see 134). may/might in the affirmative, however, can form part of a question:

Do you think he may/might not be able to pay? (See 104 for this type of question.)

Can

A General possibility

Subject + can can mean 'it is possible', i.e. circumstances permit (this is quite different from the kind of possibility expressed by may): You can ski on the hills. (There is enough snow.) We can't bathe here on account of the sharks. (It isn't safe.) Can you get to the top of the mountain in one day? (Is it possible?)

B can can also express occasional possibility:

Measles can be quite dangerous. (Sometimes it is possible for them to be quite dangerous/Sometimes they are quite dangerous.) The Straits of Dover can be very rough. (It is possible for the Straits to be rough; this sometimes happens.)

May/might és perfect infinitive meg Could az további külön tészták.

Hanem, ha neked elég volt a festős példamondat, akkor még ennyivel is kár volt fárasztanom magamat. :D

2018. dec. 22. 16:06

Kapcsolódó kérdések:

Minden jog fenntartva © 2024, www.gyakorikerdesek.hu
GYIK | Szabályzat | Jogi nyilatkozat | Adatvédelem | Cookie beállítások | WebMinute Kft. | Facebook | Kapcsolat: info(kukac)gyakorikerdesek.hu

A weboldalon megjelenő anyagok nem minősülnek szerkesztői tartalomnak, előzetes ellenőrzésen nem esnek át, az üzemeltető véleményét nem tükrözik.
Ha kifogással szeretne élni valamely tartalommal kapcsolatban, kérjük jelezze e-mailes elérhetőségünkön!